Sunday, September 6, 2015

EDUCATING THE ENTREPRENEUR

     I was blessed to have a very successful career in the field of education.  I utilized every piece of applicable information I received from mentors, books, and audio tapes (yes they were cassette tapes back then).  I attribute this hunger and respect for my continuing need for education in a variety of forms, no matter what academic degree I achieved, to my growth and development as a leader in my specific area of expertise. 

     However, when I became an entrepreneur, outside the world of academia, I quickly learned that what I didn’t know I didn’t know about starting and running a business, could easily railroad my ability to create a successful business in providing what I did know.  Therefore it was critical for me to find a way to continue my need for a different type of educational experience. My research and subsequent studies lead me to three specific areas of experiential learning: Advisors who provide wisdom based on experience, Mentors who offer knowledge in a variety of forms, and Coaches who encourage and challenge. I'm looking forward to exploring each with you in upcoming posts. 

Next Blog:  Advisors on Your Team; The who, what, when, where, and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment